FC Needs More Comfortable Seats

Marcus Leary

Benches are available in the senior courtyard; however, these may be inaccessible for many students.

As a student attending Falls Church High School, I have noticed that one of the biggest issues on our campus is the lack of comfortable seating options. Our school does not have any benches outdoors or indoors, which can make it difficult for students to sit and relax during breaks or after school activities. I believe that Falls Church High School should bring back benches for the benefit of students, faculty, and visitors.

Firstly, benches would be a great addition to our school’s outdoor spaces. Many students have a majority of classes outside, but without any seating options, they often resort to sitting on the ground or standing for extended periods. Having benches would provide a comfortable and supportive place for students to take a break or catch up with friends. Benches would also make our school more welcoming and inviting for visitors who may want to rest.

In addition to outdoor benches, indoor seating options are also necessary. There are times when students are waiting for teachers or classes to start, and having benches in the hallways would provide a comfortable waiting area. This would be especially beneficial during bad weather when students cannot go outside to relax. Benches would also be useful for extracurricular activities such as theater productions or music concerts, providing a place for performers to rest.

Finally, benches are important accommodations for students and teachers who may need to take more breaks. Members of the school community with preexisting medical conditions may need more time to rest while walking throughout the school. The lack of benches prevents members of the community with potential health issues from having a comfortable place to sit, especially with the increase in campus size due to the trailers.

In conclusion, Falls Church High School should bring back the benches for their students, faculty, and visitors. Having more benches in our outdoor spaces and indoor areas would provide a welcoming and comfortable environment for students to take a break, catch up with friends, and participate in extracurricular activities. Additionally, benches would be beneficial for faculty who also need comfortable seating options during their workday. This small addition to our campus would make a huge difference in improving the overall well-being and happiness of everyone on campus.