Interest Spikes for Boys Volleyball to Become an Official Sport

Photo courtesy of Nathan Fillion

Nathan Fillion (11) on the court for Battle Volleyball Club.

Falls Church High School has spiked with interest in boys volleyball in the past couple years.

One activity that has been missing from the school’s offerings for many years is a boys’ volleyball team.

There are several reasons why the school doesn’t have a boys’ volleyball team. One of the main reasons is simply a lack of interest. While volleyball is a popular sport, particularly among girls, it has not gained the same level of popularity among boys. However there is growing interest among male students to field a team.

“I mean, I played every other sport. I found it kind of boring. And volleyball was kind of the last sport ever played, and I found it more fun,” said Jason Chevez Martinez (10).

According to Nova Boys Volleyball, a local league, there has been a 33% growth of interest in boys’ volleyball recently. This leaves students wondering when an official varsity team will be started.

Students play on club teams and tournaments outside of school, allowing them to have more practice. The recent interest in boys volleyball has made some male athletes expand their circle of athletic options.

Another reason why there is not a boys’ volleyball team is a lack of resources. Starting and maintaining a sports team requires a significant amount of funding, as well as support from the school administration and community. Without these resources, it can be difficult to build a successful program. In addition, there may already be a full roster of sports teams, leaving little room for a new team to be added.

Another factor that may be contributing to the lack of a boys’ volleyball team at Falls Church is a lack of awareness. Many boys may not be aware that volleyball is an option for them, or may not understand the benefits of playing the sport. By increasing awareness and education about boys’ volleyball, the school may be able to generate more interest and support for a team.

Despite these challenges, there are many benefits to having a boys’ volleyball team. Volleyball is a great way for students to stay active and healthy, and can help them develop important skills such as teamwork, communication, and leadership. In addition, a boys’ volleyball team could help promote gender equality and diversity within the school’s sports programs.

Fortunately, there are steps that can be taken to address the lack of a boys’ volleyball team.. One approach could be to partner with local organizations or clubs to provide additional resources and support for a new team. Another approach could be to offer clinics or training sessions to introduce boys to the sport and help them develop their skills.

Ultimately, the decision to start a boys’ volleyball team will depend on a variety of factors, including interest, resources, and community support. However, by exploring these factors and taking steps to address any challenges, it may be possible to establish a successful program that may be appearing in the next upcoming school year.

Volleyball is considered a official sport in high school athletics according to the VHSL.

“I would consider joining because I hate playing outside of school. I don’t know why there isn’t a team here,” said Chavez-Martinez.