How To Survive Your Freshman Year of College

(Photo courtesy of jillstanek.com)

(Photo courtesy of jillstanek.com)

Maddie Mota, Staff Writer

So you are about to graduate from Falls Church and are on your way to attending the college you decided to go to. Now what? What do you do? How do you act? Here’s some advice for surviving your freshman year of college from Class of 2014 members who just survived their freshman year of college.

• Get involved! Try everything once. It’s a great way to meet new people and create a great college community. -Moriah Dreisbach (Union University)

• Don’t slack off! Do your best to keep up with your grades and stay above a certain GPA. You don’t want to risk getting kicked out of college. -Kelly Auka (NOVA)

• Time management is key! In high school, it’s really easy to push things aside and wait until the last minute to do your assignments. But once you hit college, you will struggle with remembering what is due if you keep pushing it back. -David Mathis (Shenandoah University)

• Learn to forgive your roommate! Little stuff isn’t worth the damage. It’s a small space and you have to share it and it’s hard sometimes, but don’t sweat the small stuff. -Rachel James (University of Mary Washington)

• Ask for a tutor! Tutors are there to help you. So, don’t be afraid to ask for help from one of them if you’re struggling in one of your classes. -Dieon DuPont (Shenandoah University)

So now that you have gotten some advice, just take a breath and relax. College is what you make it, so make it a good experience.  Try your hardest and have fun!