The Sound of Music Wows Falls Church

(Photo courtesy of fcps.edu/fallschurchhs)

William Rhodes, Feature Editor

Falls Church High School’s fall play was the classic The Sound of Music. The cast included many of Falls Church’s own, but also had many from Luther Jackson, due to the large amount of children needed to form the cast. To many the play was a great success. One of our English teachers, Ms. O, thought so as well, “The play was a tour de force. The Falls Church High School Drama Department is back, baby!”

The play had four performances over December 3-5. Every performance was packed full with a really supportive audience. The actors had the audience enthralled, not only through the performances of the classic songs, but through them walking in the audience multiple times. Since the music from The Sound of Music is so iconic, the drama department decided on a singalong section. It was during the Captain von Trapp’s singing of Edelweiss in the second act.

All of the actors played an important part in the success of the musical. Many of them performed double duty, helping with the technical side as well as performing. One such person, is Caroline Plummer (12). She was the choreographer as well as Elsa Schraeder, popularly known as the Baroness. “I though the show went really well and we had an amazing crowd every night!” She had a unique connection to The Sound of Music as well, “When I was younger I traveled to Salzburg and saw the real von Trapp house.” Being a choreographer helped her grow, “Being the choreographer was really a learning experience for me. I’m usually the dancer so it was cool to be on the other side.”

Danielle Phan (10) played the role of Liesl von Trapp. This was her third production at Falls Church, but has been involved in theater for about five years. “I loved it. Performing in front of everyone was great, especially that it was a musical. I like musicals better because I get to sing. I would also like to thank Ms. De Marco for giving me this part and letting me be a part of this play!”

CJ Rosario (9) said, “I’ve only been in theater for one or two years. I loved the play, especially the fact that it was a musical. This play gave me an opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. I was nervous at first, but as the play progressed I changed into my character. I’d like to thank the theater department for this great opportunity.”

Keely Greene (12) had the main role of Maria Rainer in this play. This was her 12th performance in Falls Church Drama. While being nervous at first, her performance was extraordinary. “This play was a great experience, especially being the lead. I’m sad that this was our last musical, but I’m very proud of the cast. The kids were beyond my expectation, their singing was great. I’m also proud of Brena and Josh because this was their first-ever production.”

The Sound of Music is a story loved by many across multiple generations. The Drama Department did a fantastic job of portraying the captivating story. The acting and singing was very good and the staff of The Jagwire can’t wait for the next production!

The Drama Department’s next production is The Children’s Hour, which is a 1934 drama by Lilian Helman. It is about an all-girls boarding school and the drama within it. Performances will be in May, so mark it on your calendars!