Girls Basketball Slams into the Season!

Rachel Opoku, Staff Writer

The Winter Season is almost here, and you know what that means… It’s Basketball Season! The winter season has sports such as The Dance Team, Gymnastics, Indoor Track, Swim & Dive, and Wrestling, but girls usually think about trying out Basketball. Just like some of the other sports, Girls Basketball is divided into freshman, Junior Varsity, and Varsity teams.

Before the season starts, the coaches choose a couple days after school for students, so they can work out. Preseason practices are not mandatory, however it’s recommended to attend them so you can get used to the idea of working out. Attending preseason workouts also help you prepare for tryouts. Most students may think that they cannot participate in a winter sport because they are in a fall sport, but that’s false.

It is mandatory to have a VHSL Physical Examination Form, Emergency Care Card, FCHS Extracurricular Participation Policy Acknowledgement Form, and the Concussion Education Form done by the Student Athlete and Parent. All paperwork should be done and turned in by the day of tryouts. The paperwork is required so the coaches can keep you safe. If you fail to do all paperwork, then you cannot go to tryouts. The tryout dates for the year of 2016 is November 7th, 9th, and 10th. There will be no tryouts on the 8th due to Election Day.

Basketball is available for anyone who is interested in trying out the sport, however there are some team expectations. Athletes must attend their classes every day. It’s important that you follow the team expectations because if you’re earning a D or F on a grade report, then you will not be allowed to start or even play in any game until proof of your improvement is provided. Since the sport is in winter, all athletes are also required to attend practices that are mandatory, or on Saturdays during winter break.

The Girls Basketball Team has been working hard, and they are looking forward to this season, encouraging everyone to join. Their goal is to be confident, and strive for success!