English Department Adds New Teacher

(Photo taken by Alissa Grisler)

(Photo taken by Alissa Grisler)

Jasmyne Singleton, Staff Writer

Ms. Di Lauro is the new English 10 teacher for Falls Church High School. The Jagwire asked her a few questions to get to know her better.

Where are you originally from?

I am from the outskirts of Philadelphia and I went to Penn State, but then moved over here to go to Northern Virginia Community College and George Mason to get my Master’s and Secondary Degree.

What are some of your hobbies?

I really like to do some yoga but I also like to read and to travel. The first place that I traveled to was Italy.

What school did you go to before Falls Church?

At first I had worked and taught at Washington-Lee for about four to five months but then I came here. I had taught ninth graders over there and now I’m teaching tenth graders here.

How different is it, teaching tenth graders instead of ninth graders?

I wouldn’t really say that it’s different, more like it’s more advanced. Tenth graders have already been to the school before, doesn’t matter what school just that they’ve been in ninth grade before. Ninth graders are new to the school and new to all of the experiences so of course they’re quieter and shyer, even the louder ones have a limit. Once they get out of their shells and I get out of my shell everything became better, for all of us.

How are you liking Falls Church? Is it better than Washington-Lee?

I love Falls Church a lot and it’s a really great school, but so was Washington-Lee. It’s kind of hard saying that one school is better than the other when they both have the same qualities on things. However, I do love how diverse this school is! When I went to NOVA and George Mason, everything was pretty diverse. You couldn’t say that everyone was the same because we weren’t. We all had something special about us. Our diversity. That’s one of the main reasons why I love Falls Church so much, because it’s exactly like my old schools.

What do you plan on teaching this year?

Before I had taught Romeo and Juliet as well as acting it out in class last year. This year I plan on teaching Lord of the Flies, Julius Caesar, and To Kill a Mockingbird.