Falls Church High School Presents the Fall Concert

(Photo by Ryan Haynes)

Ryan Haynes, Managing Editor

On Tuesday, October 20 the Falls Church Choral, Guitar, and Orchestra Departments performed at the Fall Concert.  The annual show was the first concert of the year, however the musicians were able to put a great performance together despite the little amount of time.

The night started off with the Concert Choir, Bella Voce, and the Chamber Singers singing their pieces accompanied by pianist Sean Cator.  This is the first year here at Falls Church for Choral Director Mr. Anthony Khong, and his first concert was a well performed act by his singers.

Next to perform was the Guitar Ensemble, led by director Mr. Jacob Walker.  After they performed their songs, The Quintet, a group of five guitarists who meet and practice in their own time, played two pieces. The Quintet consists of Kyle Mallari (11), Omar Velasquez (11), Rachel Williams (12), Calvin Zubaly (10), and leader Steven Pak (11). Pak after the performance said, “I’m really proud of The Quintet so far this year, I thought we were not going to be able to play at this concert, but we pulled through and gave a good performance.”

Last to perform were the Concert, Symphonic, and Chamber Orchestras led by Mr. Andrew Lisowski. Mr. Lisowski told the audience that he originally did not think his students were going to be ready in time for this concert, but he was happily proved wrong.  Concertmaster and senior Hannah McMullin was honored during the concert for her great devotion towards the music department for the past four years.  McMullin will be moving to Australia next week and was given a nice round of applause for all of her hard work.  Junior Max Miller, when asked about the performance, replied, “We were happy to send Hannah off on a good performance.”

Another outstanding musician recognized was Kyle Major (11), who was announced as the seventh-best violist in the Region, and will be competing in States in early February.  Major who auditioned in the viola competition of Regionals earlier this year has accomplished an impressive ranking, particularly because he is only a junior.