FCHS Wrestling Heading Towards Another Great Season

(Photos courtesy of Coach Thinh)

Ryan Haynes, Managing Editor

Coming off of a very strong year last year, the Falls Church Wrestling Team looks to repeat their success.  Last year the team had a final record of 12-3, including wins from the Norfolk Classic and the Rumble in the Jungle.  The entire team made Regionals for the first time in school history, but losing a strong senior like Yery Vargas will make it a tough task to repeat. This offseason Coach Thinh, Coach Thong and the students have had “open mats” where wrestlers can come and get ready for this season.

This year’s team, like last year’s, has a strong cast. Seniors like Joo Park, Vincent Nuzzo, and Nico Giraldo and Sophomores Jacob Brottman-Krass and Joe Mack have more experience under their belts this year and know what to expect. When asked about what to expect for this upcoming year, Brottman-Krass responded, “Get hype”. Mack, who was a key part of the team’s success last year, said, “We have been working really hard off season, and we are prepared to kick some major behind during the season.  It should be fun to watch so come out and support your fellow jags.”

Senior Nuzzo said, “Wrestling in my opinion is the best sport. It teaches you dedication and hardwork. This is going to be my second year of wrestling and I’ve loved every second of it, from the running to the wins. Even though it’s just you on the mat you know you have your teammates backing you up and making you better.”

Last year’s squad made school history by every wrestler advancing from Districts to Regionals.  This impressive feat is tough to do back-to-back years, however with the seniors who have last year’s experience they now know the different challenges that come with facing new teams. Senior Giraldo said,  “We have been working hard this offseason, and we are excited to show everyone what we are made of.”  The wrestling team looks like they should have another exciting season in store this year.