How Do Students View their Sophomore Year?

(Photo by Catherine Le)

(Photo by Catherine Le)

Catherine Le, Contributing Writer

Finally, Class of 2018, we have conquered freshman year! Now it’s the start of our sophomore year, which is said to be the “forgotten year.” Everyone talks about freshman year, junior year, and senior year, but sophomore year is never talked about. Sophomores are said to not have anything that is considered special or important. To see if this idea is true, we asked sophomores their opinion if it really is considered “The Forgotten Year” from their perspective.

We received mixed reactions of whether sophomore year is forgotten or not from the 10th graders. Some believe that idea of the “forgotten year” is true, whereas other students believe this year is just as important because of the goals that are set and also because of how much improvement can happen within such a short period of time.

“I feel like sophomore year is the forgotten year because we are in the middle of our high school career. The teachers tend to worry about the freshmen because they are new and the seniors because it is their last year,” says Lina Nguyen (10).

Maddy Daza (10) agrees.  “I think it’s true. Think about it, freshman year: nerves, anxiety. Sophomore year: more chilled, you’re used to the school, you know the entire school, you know what to do and what not to do. Junior year: college, stress, more anxiety and pressure above everything else. Senior year: senioritis, so chill, and looking forward to college and ‘freedom.’”

But not all members of the Class of 2018 see things this way.  “In my opinion, it is irrational to say that sophomore year is “The Forgotten Year,” says a student who wished to remain anonymous, “because it is full of hard work for athletes, academically gifted students, and everyone in general. Calling a period of success (and failure as well) “forgotten” is just as harsh as looking over the most important events in history.”

Lynda Dang (10) sees all four years as being equally important.  “I think every year of your life should be considered important. It’s like an extra step to your goal, which in this case, is graduating high school,” she says.

Ultimately, your experience in school is what you make of it.  Don’t overlook any year or any class—each one is an opportunity for you to excel and to show the world what you’re made of.  Not only that, but in the end, we should all strive to achieve success, not separately, but as one community.