Club of the Month: Global Future of FCHS

(Photo courtesy of the Jagwire staff)

Danny May, Staff Writer

This month’s featured club is the Global Future Club. This organization is very new, as this year is the first year that this club is offered. The idea for this group was inspired by the international charity and youth empowerment movement called Free the Children, which focuses on assisting the oppressed children in less developed countries.

However, the Global Future Club, which was recently founded by Mr. Simon, also focuses on addressing issues in the local community. In fact, they recently completed a project to clean up Roundtree Park, located just down the road from Falls Church High School. Members of the club met up on Monday, October 12 (since there was no school because of Columbus Day) and worked to pick up trash that others had left behind, while most of us were not even awake yet. That exhibits a large amount of dedication to work and support the cause of making our community a nicer place.

Having already completed their first community service task, the Global Future Club is off to a strong and ambitious start, and is showing great potential to really have a direct and positive impact on the community.

In their first meeting, they discussed several potential projects to serve and improve the community, in addition to electing a president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer. They mentioned many different ideas such as volunteering at the DC Central soup kitchen and thrift shops. Another potential idea that the club came up with is participating in the Toys for Tots program run by the United States Marine Corps Reserve. The goal of Toys for Tots program is to provide toys for children whose parents cannot afford to buy them gifts for Christmas.

The Global Future Club usually meets once a week, and is open to anyone in the school who is willing to put time and hard work into making a difference in their community and the world. Clubs like these can really affect the future of our society, and improve people’s lives. Groups like the Global Future Club and Free the Children are organizations that believe the best way to give back and help others is to improve the lives of those in a community. The students currently in the club are cooperative with one another and are dedicated to putting in their own time and effort to work towards a greater cause by setting goals and collaborating with one another in order to think of the bigger picture, the global future.