Runners Compete in 11th Annual Jaguar 5K

(Photo courtesy of Erin Poplin)

Ryan Haynes, Managing Editor

On Saturday, April 30, Falls Church High School held its 11th Annual Jaguar 5K and One Mile Fun Run.  The One Mile Fun Run, for kids under the age of 12, started at 8:00, while the 5K started at 8:30.

The 5K starts behind the school as everyone tries to pack in through the starting line.  From there the route comes down past the gym lobby entrance and out onto Jaguar Trail.  As the runners flood down Marc Drive they then hang a right onto Holly Hill Drive, and then they take an immediate left onto Carol Lane.  In the beginning of the race everyone is densely packed in tight, but at this point in the race there is a little more breathing room between runners.

Then after turning onto Dye Drive the runners reach a one-mile marker.  At the one-mile mark there is a volunteer with a stopwatch letting you know your pace.  Then after that the course takes a right turn onto Brad Street and then onto Fallowfield Drive which is the halfway point of the 5K.  Then heading back up towards the high school the route goes up onto Nealon Drive.  Here the runners passed the two-mile marker, meaning only 1.1 miles left!  The runners are treated to water as they make their final push.

The runners make their way up back towards the school, back onto Marc Drive where they cut across the parking lot when they reach school property.  Eventually, they make their way back up onto the track for the final lap.  The runners cross the finish line and are greeted by pizza, bagels, water, etc.

The 5K is a great experience to run through the surrounding neighborhoods of Falls Church with friends.  It is always a good time to unite as a community and raise money for the school.  Alex Bruning (10) reflected on the 5K as an “exhilarating experience.  It was great to see everyone come out.”  If you have never participated in it before you should definitely consider doing it next year!