Looking Forward to Major Events Coming in 2017

By Joseph Kratz, Staff Writer

With the end of the sixteenth year in the twenty-first century comes a brand new year for resolutions, turning over new leaves, meeting new people, making new memories, and accidentally writing 2016 instead of 2017. But there are a lot of big events and phenomena scheduled for 2017.  While certain days are designated for certain holidays, and other holidays’ dates change a little every year, all of 2017 has been officially designated by the United Nations as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development. What this means is that the year is supposed “to advance the contribution of the tourism sector to the three pillars of sustainability – economic, social and environmental, while raising awareness of the true dimensions of a sector which is often undervalued.” Or to observe how responsibly exploring natural wonders and cultures can lead to understanding and exposure, but also protection of the resources and culture. One of the biggest events taking place early in 2017 is the Presidential Inauguration of President Donald Trump on January 20. The official inauguration took place on the steps of the Capitol Building on Capitol Hill. This inauguration will be the 58th inauguration ceremony, swearing in the 45th President of the United States.  Then as all these different terrestrial events take place, the solar system doesn’t wait for us. On August 21, the United States will experience its first total solar eclipse of the twenty-first century, which also happens to be the first one visible from the 48 continental states since early 1979. Along with all of this, school also starts and ends like it does every year. Our beloved senior class will graduate in June, and the new freshman class will join us in the fall. But the calendar will be a little different than before. The 2016-2017 school year is scheduled to end on June 23, but then the 2017-2018 school year will start a week earlier than it did in 2016, with the first day of classes being August 28. While this year may be filled with holidays terrestrial and interspatial, it will be just like any year—it will be whatever you make it to be.