Joe Cascio’s Basketball Legacy Lives On in Tournament

By Ryan Clary, Managing Editor

As a legendary junior varsity basketball coach and varsity assistant coach, many loved Joe Cascio’s presence on and off his court.  Sadly, Cascio passed away from cancer in 2010.  At the time, the varsity boys head basketball coach was T.C. Papageorge, a player who once enjoyed Cascio’s leadership as head coach.  Because of the way Cascio inspired Papageorge as both a player and coach, Papageorge had the idea to create a tournament in memory of his basketball mentor.  Coach Cascio always played the game the right way and loved to watch the high schoolers compete the way they do during the tournament.  In this year’s edition of the tournament, the Lady Jags finished with 1 win and 2 losses, with the victory coming against Eastern High School of Washington, D.C.  The Lady Jags won the game 54-30, giving them a nice way to jump into conference play.  The boys finished the tournament with 3 tough losses but were competitive in all three games in which they participated.  They showed their potential with their high-caliber offense. The championship game for the girls was West Potomac High School versus Potomac School. The game was a back and forth contest ending in a championship for West Potomac by a final score of 55-45. The boys championship consisted of Cypress Bay from Florida (the first team from Florida to ever participate in the Joe Cascio Tournament) versus a local powerhouse, Freedom-South Riding High School. In a close, hard fought 69-65 battle, Freedom-SR took the championship home with them to Woodbridge. This tournament is fully dedicated to Joe Cascio and his family. Coach Cascio would want the kids to have a great experience in this tournament. Sadly none of the Falls Church teams could take the championship this year, but they put up a great battle with the opposing teams. Joe Cascio would be proud of the tournament and the fact that it is still progressing every year.