Preparing to Set Sail with the Drama Department

Joseph Kratz, Staff Writer

If the Falls Church Drama Department’s rendition of the musical Shrek left you wanting more, you’re in luck.

Shreck received very good reviews from The Cappies, a group of journalism and theatre students from throughout the National Capital Area that reviews plays by high schools throughout the Washington Metropolitan region. Their reviews included praise like that of Paul Hardin, a Woodson High School student, who said

“In a day and age where discrimination and injustice continue center stage, Shrek’s message of acceptance reminds us to treat everyone, whether human, ogre, or anything in between, with kindness and an open mind. We must remember that everyone has layers, and just like Shrek, when we slowly peel them back, we realize that the scariest, strangest, and most diverse people are just like us deep down inside.”

Or a positive conclusion like that written by Celia Richardson of Albert Einstein High School, who concluded

“A combination of heartfelt numbers, a strong cast, and impressive technical accomplishments, Falls Church High School’s fantastic production of Shrek the Musical is worth seeing whether you are already a Shrek lover or have yet to become a fan.”

But the show must go on, and just this Wednesday auditions for the play Treasure Island were held to cast all parts. While not a musical, Treasure Island promises to be just as entertaining as Shrek was, and offers an opportunity to enjoy a beautiful showcase of all of Falls Church’s acting talent.

Based on the adventure novel, published in 1883, of the same name by Scottish writer Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island tells the story of Jim Hawkins, a young boy, who embarks on an adventure to find a cache of hidden pirate’s treasure left on an abandoned island. During his exploits, Jim must not only deal with the stresses and discomforts of sailing on the open sea, but he must also watch out for mutineers and the dangers of such high stake rewards.

This year’s productions follow a series of good plays put on by Falls Church’s Drama Department, including Rodgers and Hammerstein’s The Sound of Music, as well as Lillian Hellman’s The Children’s Hour. Writing in the Washington Post, for The Cappies, Lydia Gompper said,

“Falls Church High School has devised a thought-provoking production of ‘The Children’s Hour,’ adeptly handling the deep moral and social issues that the play emphasizes. With passionately intense performances from the leading ladies, and mature management of very adult themes, this show was a definite dramatic success.”

Adding to this praise of the play was Lily Brock of Langley High School, writing,

“Coupling a solid cast with period-fitting technical aspects, Falls Church High School turned out a fine production.”

With the addition of the numerous one act plays, directed and acted by Falls Church students, this year looks to have professional quality plays and musicals throughout the school year.