Women’s History Month!

Rachel Opoku, Staff Writer

As we approach the month of March, it’s important to not forget that it is Women’s History Month. Women’s History Month is a yearly celebration that pretty much emphasizes the contributions of women throughout history. The first women’s day was in February 1909 when about 15,000 women marched through the streets of New York demanding for shorter hours, voting rights, improved pay, and what most of the woman believed in. A petition was held by the National Women’s History Project which then let Congress pass Women’s History Month to be in the month of March every year.

As you might’ve heard, International Women’s Day is March 8th, 2017, and there will be a national protest called “A Day without a Woman.” The reason for this day is to let woman show that they will act together for the human rights of woman, and for the justice.  Just for the day, women are encouraged to not go to work at all.  The purpose is to show how it would be like if there was a world without women.

This protest is organized by the same people who previously organized the March on Washington that happened in January of 2017. Many school districts have been closed for the day due to the fact that there are a tremendous amount of teacher requests to have the day off so that they can join the protest as well. Luckily school is open for all Fairfax County Public School students.

Overall, Women’s History Month is a time to appreciate the contributions that woman have made throughout history. I think it’s important for all women to fight for what they think is right!