Power Rangers: A movie that packs a punch

Adam Bihi, Staff Writer

When it was reported that a new Power Rangers movie would be made, many fans of the 90’s television series were very skeptical, As they didn’t think the cheesiness and campiness would translate well onto the big screen, but rest assure because it’s possible that it just might be the best superhero movie of 2017.

Located in the small town of Angel Grove, California, the story is about a group of five kids who come from different backgrounds discover an alien spaceship right underneath their town and find colored alien discs that grant them superpowers and the ability to morph into “Power Rangers”, A group of beings who have been given the responsibility to protect and serve the universe. It’s now up to them to defeat evil space witch Rita Repulsa who wants to steal the Zeo Crystal that gives the Power Rangers their powers, and to get used to working with each other in order to save the world. If the pressure wasn’t already enough, they quickly find out that they are the first team of Power Rangers in 65 million years and with Rita Repulsa coming back, their discovery could not have come at a better time.

The rangers consist of  Dacre Montgomery, as Red Ranger Jason Scott,  former high school star quarterback who has to live with the consequences of him pulling a wild prank, RJ Cyler, as Blue Ranger Billy Cranston, a antisocial nerd, Ludi Lin as Black Ranger Zack Taylor, a quiet kid and a loner, Becky G as Yellow Ranger Trini Kwan, the new girl in Angel Grove, and Naomi Scott as Pink Ranger Kimberly Hart, a former popular girl. Rounding out the main cast is Bryan Cranston as Zordon, the mentor of the Power Rangers and original Red Ranger, Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa, an alien invader and an enemy of the Power Rangers who was a former Green Ranger 65 million years ago, and finally Bill Hader as the voice of  Alpha 5, the hilarious robot assistant of Zordon.

With fun action sequences, amazing visuals, and outstanding performances by Montgomery, Cyler, and Scott, Power Rangers is a movie that can bring longtime fans and new fans together. Power Rangers is rated PG-13 and is now in theaters.