13th Annual Falls Church Jaguar 5K Race Set for April 28

Quinn Padovani, Layout Artist

As spring starts to inch forward ever so slowly, it is again time to start thinking about the annual Jaguar 5K run/walk event. So you might be asking, what does the Jaguar 5K consist of, and when is it taking place? The 5K is a roughly three-mile race around Falls Church High School, and nearby neighborhoods. At the end of the race there will also be awards such as top three male and female finishers, top three in a given age group, and more. This year the race is taking place on Saturday, April 28 at 8:30 a.m. Registration fees for race day are $35, but if you register before March 23, the fee is reduced to $20. All the proceeds from the race go to the Falls Church athletic program.
This is the thirteenth year the race has taken place. It was started in 2006 by Falls Church’s current Athletic Director, Ms. Jeanne Kelly. The race, now an FCHS tradition, has helped people of all ages to get out of the house and get active.
The first race had about 300 participants, and since then the turnout has expanded every year, with last year’s competition including over 800 participants. This year race is expected to have the biggest field yet with over 900 people running!
Many of our Falls Church students and staff are running in the race this year. Ms. Jones (Social Studies) says, “I am running in the race this year, but at a slower pace because I’m getting older.” She also said, “I encourage everyone to participate with their friends and family.” Next, when asked about his favorite memory from Jaguar 5Ks in the past, Dylan Major (10) states, “My favorite memory of the 5k was when Josh Sims (Class of 2017), Kevin Warasila (Class of 2017), and I came in as the top three finishers in the 2017 race.” It’s safe to say that our students and staff are very excited for this year’s Jaguar 5K.
The Jaguar 5K is a great way to get out of the house and spend some quality time outdoors being active, all while being competitive, with friends and family alike. To reiterate, the race is on April 28 at 8:30 a.m., and anyone who registers can participate, so don’t be late!

Students, parents, teachers, and siblings take off at the beginning of last year’s Jaguar 5K.
(Photo courtesy of jaguar5k.com)