Teacher Feature: Ms. Levy of the English Department

Jocelyn Arraya, Layout Artist

For this issue of Teacher Feature, we had the opportunity to interview the amazing Ms. Levy. She teaches English 9 Honors and English 11 classes. She was more than happy to answer a few questions about herself to share with the school.
Where are you from?
I grew up in Rockville, Maryland. And after college I moved to Los Angeles.
What university did you attend?
I first attended VCU for acting but later transferred to the University of Maryland to get my degree in Broadcast Journalism.
What did you do before teaching?
This is only my second year of teaching, so I’m able to bring many of my experiences into the classroom. I began my career working on-air in radio, but I’ve mostly worked as a writer. I worked at various magazines, such as Billboard and Us. I also worked at NBC, at the American Film Institute and was a writer at several tech companies.
Why did you choose to work at Falls Church High School?
I live near the school and used to volunteer here in the Avid program because I always wanted to work with students. So I’m lucky there was an opening in the English department.
What do you enjoy about this school?
I enjoy the overall diversity of the student body. I’ve learned so much about other cultures from my students, particularly through their writing assignments. I feel privileged that they choose to share with me some of their challenges and struggles. Getting to know my students this way makes teaching and learning an even better experience.
Why did you choose to teach English?
I’m a writer, and reading and writing have always been my passions. So I love spending my days talking about literature and powerful writing, sharing my experiences, and helping students appreciate other worlds they didn’t know exist.
What do you do in your free time?
My husband and I recently started traveling. Last summer, we went to Alaska, and before that we visited Europe. I also love to get out on the W&OD trail. And, of course, I love to read books just for pleasure.
What might you do in the future?
I hope to teach for as long as I can, and I look forward to more travel experiences.
Ms. Levy Is a well-experienced teacher who builds strong relationships with the students she gets to teach. If you have her, you will be in the hands of a great teacher.

Ms. Levy cares about getting to know
her students.