The Gift of Music on Valentine’s Day

What Music Does Cupid Listen To?

(Photo courtesy of pixshark.com)

(Photo courtesy of pixshark.com)

Janey Pham, Staff Writer

Valentine’s Day is a holiday for couples to spend time together, but what is Valentine’s Day without music? So many artists put their heart into their music by using past or recent feelings or experiences they’ve been through. Sometimes those memories are being shared worldwide. Sometimes those memories are being shared with us. Sometimes they aren’t even memories, but moments in our lives.

Music defines who we are, how we feel, and how we live. It all comes from experience whether it’s a breakup between two, love between family, and hate between societies. There are people who support Valentine’s Day as a fun event for couples to shed their love for one another while others may think it’s a waste of time. Students and teachers here at FCHS all have that one special person whom they love and cherish. They want to be able to give them that one special gift that comes from the heart. That gift is music.

I was able to quickly interview four people as they all answered the same questions. Mai Pham (10) is a student who loves international music. When it came to music, she was glad enough to do an interview with me for this Valentine’s Day special.  I began by asking her, “What song do you think is the perfect song to fit in for the Valentine’s Day mood?” As she took time to think she finally answered, “Stand By Me by SHINee.” As a K-Pop fan myself I was excited.  I followed up by asking her, “If you were to be in a relationship, what song would you serenade your partner on Valentine’s Day?” She quickly answered as she found the perfect song to serenade which was, “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz.

Another music lover here at FCHS was glad enough to do an interview for this year’s Valentine’s Day special. Though, she wanted to remain anonymous, her answers and opinions remained the same as we continued on with the interview. As the same questions were being asked, different answers were being shared. She quickly answered the first question as I asked, “What song do you think is the perfect song to fit in for the Valentine’s Day mood?” Showing that she was a One Direction fan, she chose the songs “Little Things” and “You and I” by One D.  As we got to the last question of the interview, I asked her, “If you were in a relationship, what song would you serenade your partner on Valentine’s Day?” She was very quick in responses as she answered, “Bones” by The Killers.

Mr. Simon (Teacher) is the advisor of the Jagwire newspaper, so he rarely gets interviewed for the paper.  I first asked him, “What song do you think is the perfect song to fit in for the Valentine’s Day mood?” Mr. Simon remained in deep thought as he asked for the next question. I therefore asked him, “Since you’re married, what song would you serenade your wife on Valentine’s Day?” As he took the time to think again, he answered the first question with, “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion.  As he sat there thinking what song would he serenade his wife, he decided to remain old-school and chose another hit single from the ’90s, “I Swear” by All-4-One.

Mr. Mahan (Teacher) is an English teacher with an enormous amount of humor. As I was interviewing him, the atmosphere was very bright and fun as the jokes kept coming in. The interview finally started with the first question: “What song do you think is the perfect song to fit in for the