Girls Lacrosse Excited to Get Started

(Photo courtesy of Katie Burke)

Sean Clary, Staff Writer

The Lady Jags lacrosse team opens up the regular season at home against the Edison Eagles on March 17.  Falls Church is looking to improve from finishing the regular season with a 6-7 record in 2015.  They also posted a good postseason run to end a strong year on the field.  The Jags beat Stuart in the first round but lost to Marshall in the second round of the conference tournament.  Last year can be used as a building block for the Jags as they prepare for new challenges in 2016.

The team has been practicing hard and working out in order to have a successful season.  The team had five seniors on the team that graduated last year so this year they will need players to step up and fill in the roles of the people who came before them.  The head coach, Mrs. Jessica Burke, is looking for the girls to work hard and put together an exciting season.

The team is led by two seniors Katie Burke (12) and Maddie Mota (12).  Burke said, “I’m looking forward to connecting with my teammates, especially since a lot of the seniors left last year and there are a lot of new people on varsity!  I want to make my last season fun and have good team chemistry.”  The team likes to focus on keeping good team chemistry throughout the season because unlike other sports, lacrosse requires a lot of teamwork in order to win games.  A lot of the girls on the team have been friends for many years prior to high school.

The sophomore class is going to play a major role for the Lady Jags this season as Hanna Bond (10) and Olivia Rogers (10) return after making the varsity team as freshmen.  This year the team welcomes five new sophomores, Hannah Worley (10), Kenia Hernandez (10), Aldana Garcia (10), Jojo Di Scipio (10), and Kimberly Roxbrough (10).  This team is young and with a few more years of experience, this team can be a serious contender for the district title.